Mauritius was uninhabited until being
permanently settled by European explorers in the 1600s. The island was known to
Swahili, Arab, and Malay sailors as early as the 10th century and was originally
named Dina Harobi by the Arabs. The Portuguese sailors first visited it in 1507
and established a visiting base leaving the island uninhabited. Five ships of
the Dutch Second Fleet were blown off course during a cyclone while on their way
to the Spice Islands and landed on the island in 1598, naming it in honor of
Prince Maurice of Nassau, the Stadtholder of the Netherlands.
In 1638, the Dutch established the first permanent settlement. Because of tough climatic conditions including cyclones and the deterioration of the settlement, the Dutch abandoned the island after nearly a century in 1710. France, which already controlled the neighboring Île Bourbon (now Réunion) took control of Mauritius in 1715 and later renamed it Île de France (Isle of France). Under French rule, the island developed a prosperous economy based on sugar production.
In the Napoleonic Wars (1803–1815) the British set out to gain control of the island. Despite winning the Battle of Grand Port, Napoleon's only naval victory over the British, the French surrendered to a British invasion at Cap Malheureux three months later. They formally surrendered on 3 December 1810, on terms allowing settlers to keep their land and property and to use the French language and law of France in criminal and civil matters. Under British rule, the island's name reverted to the original one. Mauritius then went on to become independent in 1968.
|Other articles in this category|
|Mauritius at a glance|